Information and Articles: FAQ's Answered on Waxing, Facials, Spray Tans, and other Spa Services and Skin Care Needs
Spa Services Policy
Arrival, Late Arrivals, Cancelations, No-Shows, Deposits
We hate to be so tough, but due to the high amount of No-Shows, this long time policy created in 2014 is being strictly enforced as of January 2nd, 2017. We have so many great guests that can't get serviced when we don't limit the booking privileges. So if you understand and feel this policy is fair, we look forward to servicing you, too. Go ahead and start your booking!
- Be sure to read the information and tips about your service on this site and on the booking page to be prepared for your service. Example: hair length, sun exposure/tanning bed, medications, allergies, etc.
- Arrive 10 minutes early to check in with the front desk and allow time for paperwork and use of the restroom if needed. (Paperwork must be updated every 6 months).
- After you have checked in, let the front desk know if you need to use the restroom before your appointment begins. This helps avoid timing delays.
- We try to cater to all of our guests and their needs. To keep everyone's appointments on time, the maximum grace period we can allow is 7 minutes, on the mark.
- Guests arriving 7 minutes late will be subject to a reschedule at the technician's discretion based on availability.
- Once a guest hits the 10 minute mark (with or with out arrival), they will be marked as a 'No-Show'. Please call and give us the opportunity to work with your situation.
- If you are unable to make it to your appointment, we ask that you let us know as soon as possible. 2 hours in advance is the least amount of time we need to try and fill the spot.
- If you are in a situation where you are unable to call, you can always use your email reminder to cancel the appointment yourself, or you can use the Vagaro app or cancel on our website. You can also message us on our official Facebook page or leave a voicemail if you call after hours. Please do not reply to the appointment reminder, as they are automated and we can not see your reply.
- A "No-Show" is generally someone who did not show up for their appointment and was not heard from or able to be reached. A "No-Show" is also someone with a scheduled appointment that did not cancel within 2 hours or was 10 minutes late or more for their appointment.
- After 2 no-shows in a 6 month or 6 service history period, our system will automatically place these guests on a "Walk-In Only" guest list or a "Day-Of" guest list. Whenever the guest books online after this, appointments are submitted as "requests" and an email will be returned with the reason for denial.
- "Day-Of" guests can call the day they want an appointment and we can manually put them on the books if we have something available, but failure to show up, and on time as the previous rules state, will move them to the "Walk-In" only list for all future services.
- Guests with 2 threading appointment no-shows in the 6 month or 6 service history time frame are automatically placed on the "Walk-In Only" guest list.
- Please note, if you have been moved to the "Day-Of" guest list, you CAN get off the list when you have completed 3 consecutive appointments.
- "Walk-In Only" guests can walk in on the day they would like an appointment to see if anything is available at that time.
- Deposits are not required unless multiple bookings are made exceeding a total of 75 minutes during one session.
- Our most common bookings are usually at or under this 75 minute time frame. For example, a Brazilian wax books out for 30 minutes to include clean up and set up, and an eyebrow books out for 15 minutes. Booking both for 45 minutes will not require a deposit.
- All facial services book out for 75 minutes or less and will not require a deposit, but if you would like to book multiple appointments exceeding 75 minutes, we will require a 50% deposit.
- If the total appointment time is under 2 hours, it must be cancelled within 24 hours of the starting appointment time for a full refund.
- If the service exceeds 2 hours, 48 hour cancellation is required for a full refund.
- Please give us the opportunity to refill the appointment and refund your money. You can cancel by simply calling in the time frame set above and either leaving a message on voicemail, talking to a staff member, or by messaging us on our official Facebook page. Please do not reply to the automated email reminders because we are not able to view these responses. Thanks for understanding.
Pin-Ups Wax Pass/ Spa Pass Policy
- Pin-Ups Passes are good for 1 year from the original date of purchase and can be used at either location. They are non-transferrable to other guests.
- If you change your mind and want to switch services for your pass, you can contact a Manager for a "Pass Transfer". Any previously redeemed services on the Pass will switch to full price, and any remaining balance after being applied to full price rates will be transferred toward the purchase of your new Pass. There is no fee for transfers, but a new Pass is required for new services.
- Should you decide the Pass is not for you and you wish to cancel within 30 days of purchasing the Pass, simply contact a Manager to cancel. You will be charged full price for any services redeemed with the Pass and a refund will be issued for the balance.
- If a you decide to cancel after 30 days of purchasing the Pass, there is a $25 cancellation fee. Contact a manager to issue your remaining balance after the cancellation fee and the full price of services previously redeemed on the Pass have been applied.
- Priority Booking: Pass holders are moved to the top of the cancellation/wait list when no appointments are available. Appointments booked by clients in violation of the Spa Policy are subject to being replaced by a Pass holder’s appointment needs when applicable at manager’s discretion.
- Pass holders are still required to follow the Spa Policy, including Cancellation and No-Show Policy, and are not excluded from the "Walk-In Only Guest" list when applicable.
"Which one do I need"?
Cheat Sheet by Skin Care Concern:
Acne or Clogged Pores:
Deep Pore Facial, Facial with Extractions, Salicylic Acid Chemical Peel, Jessner Peel, Deep Pore Microdermabrasion
Dull Skin Rejuvenation:
Lightening and Brightening Facial or Microderm, Hydration Rejuvenation Facial or Microderm, Glycolic 30% Chemical Peel, Lactic Acid Peel, Painless Retinol + C Peel
Painless Retinol + C Peel, Gylcolic Peel, Anti-Ager's Collagen Facial or Microderm, Lightening and Brightening Facial or Microderm
Lightening and Brightening Facial or Microdermabrasion, Painless Retinol + C Peel, Deep Pore Facial or Microderm
Jessner Chemical Peel, Painless Retinol + C Peel, Sensitive Skin's Favorite Facial
Sensitive Skin's Favorite Facial
The Difference Between an Express Facial and a Regular Facial
The express facial will get you a good professional exfoliation without any extractions or treatments, masks, steam, massage, and multiple serums. There is also an express microdermabrasion where you get just the diamond-tip microdermabrasion exfoliation and go straight to the finish with one serum and a sunscreen- no treatments, masking, etc. So although you give up the many benefits of a full service treatment, these are still good options for a quick glow or a professional exfoliation. It's also a great alternative for a first timer, as it will prep the skin and start the exfoliation process for better results from a future full-service facial. If you are concerned with pores, blackheads, breakouts, etc., you will undoubtedly need a full facial, but an express facial or microderm can be a great place to start.
-Casey Martin, Lead Esthetician
Our Most Common Services Explained
Threading: A cotton thread
is pulled along unwanted hair in a twisting motion, to trap hair in a mini
lasso, and lifts hair right out of the follicle. The concept is basically the same as when you take a rubber band off of your wrist. The rubber grabs on to the hair and twists it out by the root as you take the rubber band off of your arm. The thread is much much finer, but this is what gives it the same grip on individual hairs (and its much faster than the rubber-band concept). Threading gives perfect shape to brows
that can not be achieved by waxing or tweezing, and does not harm the skin like
waxing can. Perfect for everyone including allergies, medications, and
illnesses restricting waxing. See everything we thread here. Brazilian Wax: Waxing the
full front and back of the bikini zone, inside and out. With or without a
landing strip. Hair must be less than 1” and longer than 1/4”. This is usually 10 days from your last shave or 2 weeks from your last wax. Wax can not grab hair shorter than this. If you are concerned about being too long, follow this rule: If you can pinch it and twist it, cut it. There can be no significant
sun exposure (or tanning) 48-72 hours before or after your wax. Please check any medications you may be taking
for skin sensitivities. Find our full waxing menu and prices here.
Bikini Wax: Waxing outside
the panty line on the thigh, in the bikini zone. This section stops at about a hands-width from the bikini line. Hair must be less than 1” and
longer than 1/4”. No significant sun exposure (or tanning) 48-72 hours before
or after your wax. Please check medications for skin sensitivities.
High Bikini Wax: If you were to grab the sides (bikini line area) of each side of your swim suit and pull straight up toward your belly button, this exposed zone is what gets waxed in a High Bikini. So while not a Brazilian wax but much more than a basic bikini, the High Bikini wax removes the hair that might show in high cut or skimpier swimsuits and panties. This also includes taking some "off the top" for those lower cut undergarments, but is optional to those who don't want that.
Half Leg Wax: Waxing from
either the knee and down- commonly called "Lower Half Leg", or above the knee to the upper thigh- "Top Half Leg" It is common to see a price difference because the two areas greatly differ in time consumption due to larger area and constant changing of hair patterns. A "Top Half Leg" does not include bikini zone or buttocks.
Half Arm Wax: Waxing either below the elbow and down, or
from the shoulder faded down to the elbow.
Chest Wax: Removal of the hair only the upper chest, stopping under pectorals
Stomach Wax: Removal of hair on the belly, does not include from chest (breast) and up.
Body Scrubs: Our body scrubs do not come pre-packaged with preservatives, but are instead freshly made in our spa. We use all natural ingredients loaded with skin-loving properties like Ghana shea butter, unrefined coconut oil and cocoa butter, grapeseed oil, essential oils, tea leaves, ground oats, coffee beans, white sugar, brown sugar, sea salt, and plant and flower extracts. See our current selection of body scrubs here.
Microdermabrasion: This skin
care technology combines the use of mechanical exfoliation with simultaneous suction in the form of a single metal wand. Think of this wand like a finger-trap sized vacuum, because that's about what it looks like. The outer rim of the "trap" allows for detachable abrasive diamond tips in different sizes and shapes, and the inside of the "trap" is a vacuum that sucks up the dead skin cells scraped off by the diamond tip. The back end of the wand connects to a hose where dead skin cells are pulled through and trapped by the filter so the machine can continue it's suction. Microdermabrasion is used to create a quick glow as it reveals fresh skin, to stimulate collagen production and assist in anti-aging regimes, and to help unclog congested skin and allow for easier extraction of blackheads and clogged pores. Microdermabrasion serves as the exfoliation step of a facial, so it would still include all the serums, treatments, masks, and moisturizers.
Chemical peel: A solution is used to dissolve the bond that
holds the outer layer of dead skin cells together. There are different peels for different skin care concerns, and the results of a chemical peel can be fantastic, but we take extra caution with this service as it does require more before and after care. To minimize any chances of unwanted results, we do require the use of our signature Skin Brightening Cream for at least 2 weeks, which you can pick up at any location, as well as the use of our signature SPF for 2 weeks after.
Specifically designed for fines lines and sun damage or pigmentation problems.
Specifically designed for acne, blackheads, and clogged skin. Can not be used
on acne that has been ‘picked at’.
Jessner Peels are used to treat variety of problematic skin conditions
including acne, acne scars, hyper-pigmentation, skin blotches, wrinkles, and
fine lines. They can also be used on skin suffering from rosacea.
Painless Retinol + C Peel: This is our FAVORITE peel! Why? Because chemical peels can be intense. Some people tingle while others feel the good ol' burn (don't worry, it only lasts for a few minutes). But when you use this Retinol + C peel, you won't feel anything AND you get a completely different treatment.. one that's relaxing, complete with hand massage and all! It's just not possible to do that with the other peels, as the majority of the time is spent layering, monitoring, and neutralizing.
Facials deeply cleanse and use professional level exfoliators to reveal fresh skin, target specific areas of concern, can be done with or without extractions based on client's needs or requests, can use machines, modalities, and relaxation techniques such as hand massages during facial masks, and are tailored to treat specific skin issues. Facial treatments are recommended every 4-6 weeks, but even just one facial and the education and recommendations that come with it can make a big difference in your skin. See all the facials we offer here.
Back Facial: A facial treatment
for the back for breakout-prone skin.
BraZacial: This treatment targets breakouts and ingrown hair in the bikini zone and pubic mound above the labia. The session focuses on exfoliation and extraction and is set up like a brazilian wax, not like a facial or spa service. This service is only for females.
Lash Tinting: Eyelash
tinting of the top and bottom lash with a colorant specifically designed to be safe for use around the eye area. Lash tinting can be beneficial alone, or can be done 2 days prior
to lash extensions for fuller lashes. $18 or $30 for when booking the lash and
brow tint combo, which saves $6.
Brow Tinting: Tinting of
the eye brow with either brow tint (tints the brow hair) or henna tattoo tint
(which temporarily colors the hair as well as stains the skin). Lasts up to 2
weeks. $18, or $30 for a combo deal, which can be either a brow shaping and
then tinting (saves $3) or lash tinting and brow tinting (saves $6).
Lash Extensions: Individual lash extensions are adhered to your own lashes by separating each lash
and placing one extension lash on one real lash, and NOT just gluing on clusters of lashes like some places
do in 20 minutes. This is a 2 hour session giving you beautiful ready-to-go
eyes. Lasts 4-6 weeks and will need fill-ins every 2-3 weeks for best results. Lash extensions are done at Pin-Ups by a certified NovaLash Technician and are very competitively priced at $159. Fill-ins are $49 when regularly scheduled, and Partial Sets are $99 (cat eyes or a little extra lash drama). Find out even more information on lash extensions here. Spray tan: Our certified
technicians air-brush the spray tan with Eco-certified Norvell Organics
tanning solution for a beautiful bronze, non-orange tan. It typically lasts 5-7 days, although it can
last longer with proper before and after care. Please visit the Spray Tan page on our website here for a complete list of proper prep, maintenance, and do's
and don'ts. Some examples are: Exfoliate. Scrub off natural dead
skin build-up with a salt or sugar scrub and start this process at least 3 days before your spray tan. Moisturize after each scrub to keep skin hydrated and able to hold more tan. Shave before you arrive, but be sure to do your last exfoliation scrub AFTER your shave and not before, as shaving cream (and/or the little moisturizing strip on the razor) can leave a barrier on the skin which blocks the spray tan solution from penetrating.
This is also why we don’t want you using bar soap or wearing any lotion, moisturizers, or deodorant when you arrive for your spray tan. After your sunless tan has been applied, which takes about 10 minutes, you can
not shower (or get wet in ANY shape or form, sweat, etc.) for at least 8 hours, and you can not spray perfume directly on the
skin, as it will eat through spray tan. Wear loose dark cotton clothing so that there
are less chances of the tan rubbing onto the clothes directly after. Think about your footwear, as sweat affects tan. Do not wear leather sandals or other shoes that frequently collect direct sweat, but be cautious of flip-flops when it has rained or when it's humid (as it pretty much always is). We've found it best in our experience to wear loose fitting flats or any other loose fitting shoe that offers coverage to the toe and edges of the feet.
-Casey Martin, Lead Esthetician
The Most Common Questions We Get About Spray Tans
Q: Why do I have to wait 8 hours before I shower?
A: The active ingredient in spray tan (DHA) does not start developing for about 2 hours. The color you see when your tan has been applied is "instant bronzer" and is not much more than make-up. It is a color guide to let the technician know they sprayed you evenly. Spray tan can continue to develop for up to 24 hours, and this is how you gradually get darker. We hit the ideal color at about 8 hours. Rinsing any early will probably leave you disappointed.
Q. Why can't I get wet or sweat?
A. This is only a rule during the time your tan is processing. You will neutralize your tan during your first shower, and afterwards you are free to do as you wish (almost.. no chlorine and such). When you shower, all areas stop developing; your instant bronzer washes down the drain and your real tan is what's left behind. But just as water neutralizes your tan during your first shower, it is also extremely easy to neutralize the tanning process unintentionally while you are still developing. As soon as liquid hits it, whether it be from the dew on the grass on the way to your car, sweat that starts to develop right before the AC comes on, or condensation that has dripped from your beverage, this "wet" area is now neutralized. The tan around the area will keep developing and getting darker, but the area that got wet will stop developing. This can lead to splotchiness. So we don't want you to get wet at all. Until you are ready to do it evenly.. which is during your first shower.
Q: I just got my spray tan yesterday and it is already peeling...
A: If your spray tan is instantly peeling, it is due to the post and pre-spray, not the tanning solution or the technician. Most commonly- especially if this happens on the chest or under arms, the skin had a barrier on it blocking even penetration. This happens when residue is left behind from perfume, deodorant, bar soap, and certain moisturizers or make-up. The other reason this could happen is from sweating at some point while your tan is setting, especially in between the breasts. Make sure not to do anything "wet" or "sweaty" for at least 8 hours after your tan.
Q: How dark can I get?
A: That depends on how attractive you plan on being to the public eye. In your mind, darker may be better. But all other people will see is a dirty or orange blob. Spray tans should be only a few shades darker than your natural skin tone and should have slightly more concentration on areas sunlight naturally hits, such as the tops of the shoulders. Notice the inside of your arm is not as dark as the outside. This is how your spray tan should also look. If you try to go unnaturally dark, and once again this means outside of your current skin color and not your summer color, two problems will occur. One, in a few days when dead skin cells start to shed, you won't be fading slowly and evenly like you should. You will be splotchy because of the contrast of the lighter color underneath shining through the much darker color on top. And two, DHA, the active ingredient in tanner, has a limit on skin. If your current skin color is likely to burn in the sun, stronger DHA is more likely to turn you orange. A higher concentration of DHA is designed for people who already have some color and are less likely to burn in the sun in their current state. So an experienced technician may advise against your request, and when you find someone else to do it for you, it is highly likely that you will be orange. Remember, spray tan is not intended to change your skin color. It is designed to give you a healthy and natural bronzed glow.
Q: Can I go to the tanning bed before my spray tan?
A: If you want to' double dip' the tan, its best do visit the tanning bed after the spray tan and do a stand up bed (to prevent sweating). UV rays are one of the three things that can affect spray tan solution, so we don't want your skin exposed to these rays before your tan.
Q: How long does a spray tan last?
A: 5-7 days depending on skin, post care, and prep. The better you prepare you skin for your tan (and not just the day before), and the better you take care of your tan afterwards (including proper tan care products and showering methods), the longer and more even your spray tan will last.
Q: Why do my feet look orange/ different than the tan on my legs sometimes?
A: This has do to with sweat and pH change. To prevent this, ask your technician for a warm towel to rub the body down and clean the skin as best you can. Avoid wearing older shoes to your tan and during your processing time. And definitely don't wear leather shoes/sandals.. After all, leather is tanned animal skin... that now has your pH mixed in as well. This can easily lead to orange feet.
Q: Can I still get a pedicure after a sunless tan?
A: It is recommended to take care of this before your tan. You may use the barrier cream provided to cover your fresh nails when you are getting your tan. If you must get a nail service afterwards, wait until after you have neutralized the tanning process (showered), and then ask for a polish change or a non-exfoliating treatment. And if you do get a pedicure just before your tan, make sure there is no oil or moisturizer residue left behind or the tan will not penetrate and stain the skin.
Spray Tanning is not an exact science. You must rely on yourself to read all the rules and do your research. Spray tan technicians should not have to fix something due to improper post or pre-tan procedures if the instructions have been provided, simply because many spray tan problems can't just be "fixed". And you can't just "redo" a recent tan. Tan stains the dead skin cells until they shed off. Tanning over a tan to "fix" a problem can make all areas darker- the lighter area will get darker, but so will the area that still has tanner on it. It is not necessarily going to blend like make-up. This is not meant to scare you off or deter you from getting a spray tan. Spray tans are awesome! But most people are getting them for an important event. And we want you to be well-prepared so you can have the perfect tan you imagined. So make sure you chose a technician or location with clear before and after instructions and ask your technician questions during your tan to clear up any confusion. Always do a trial run before an important event so you will know what to expect.
-Casey Martin, Lead Esthetician